|Areas change. In the first half of the twentieth century, the population of the small parish of St Margaret Pattens fell to such an extent that a worshipping congregation no longer lived around it. The importance of giving the church a new life was recognised when it became a Guild Church.
'Guild church' is a church in the City of London designated and established as such under the City of London (Guild Churches) Acts 1952 and 1960.
The legislation of 1952 allowed churches which were regarded as redundant and in danger of being closed to carry on a weekday ministry. As a result some churches assumed new roles, such as places for music and discussion groups, as advice centres, or else they became connected with a particular organisation.
As a guild church, St Margaret Pattens has a regular weekday, rather than Sunday congregation, drawn mostly from people who work in offices nearby.
As St Margaret Pattens is not a parish church, it relies for funds on the generosity of the congregation, local business people, the supporting livery companies and visitors.
The Church also receives income from lettings, and on the first floor has a meeting room used regularly by a number of organisations.