St Margaret Pattens Church - Organ Appeal
The Friends of St Margaret Pattens Church is launching an Appeal to raise funds to restore its historic organ. The Church was built by Sir Christopher Wren shortly after the Great Fire of London and the organ dates from 1749. Originally the work attributed to Thomas Griffin, who supplied a number of organs to City Churches, the organ retains its original fine 18th Century wooden casework and some of its original pipes. On account of the stupendous quality of the casework (especially the carving and elaborate serpentine form) the organ was awarded a Grade 1 Historic Organs Certificate by the British Institute of Organ Studies in 2008.
With the passing of time, the organ has needed significant attention to maintain it in top condition and general working order. Unfortunately, over the centuries, this has not always been possible. A significant rebuild of the organ took place in 1886, much of which remains today. Sadly, the organ was damaged during the Second World War and some repairs to the pipework and casework took place soon after the War. Some further maintenance and alterations were undertaken in 1956 but little has been done since. As a result, the beautiful organ now requires a substantial restoration to give it a new lease of life for the next hundred years. While several ranks of the eighteenth century pipework do still remain, they are in urgent need of repair. We need to spend substantial funds to stop the organ deteriorating irreparably, and to bring it back to good working condition.
Copyright © 2015 - 2017 The Guild Church of St Margaret Pattens